Haddam is located three miles north of U.S. Highway 36 on Kansas Highway 22. Highway 36 once went through Haddam but was moved three miles south in the 1940's.
Our Beginning: Haddam was founded in the fall of 1869 when J. W. Taylor built and stocked a small store on land donated by George Canfil. It was named by George after the town of Haddam, Connecticut. At approximately the same time a Mr. A. Whitney opened a store on his claim, a short distance west and started a rival town, which he also called Haddam. When Mr. Canfil resigned as postmaster, Mr. Whitney was appointed postmaster and the post office was moved to West Haddam. In 1874 Mr. Whitney sold his stock of goods to H. H. Cheney, who moved it to the present Haddam.
Old Haddam Jail
The Griswold Wildlife Areais located north of U.S. Highway 36 on Kansas Highway 22.
Established in 2002 the wildlife center is located south of Haddam.
Jail: The 1901 election saw an all women city council, mayor, city clerk and police judge elected, even though women were not given the right to vote until 1920. Right away the women decided to build a jail, accepted a $325.00 bid and saw construction of the stone jail within five months. The jail, on its original site, is one-half block south of Haddam's main street at the bank corner.